With holiday shopping season already here, many retail companies are hustling to fill seasonal, as well as permanent, job openings. While finding candidates to fill these jobs may be a struggle, it is still always worth putting in the extra effort to find the right talent. This is because your company’s bottom line is greatly impacted by the quality of customer service you provide. According to an American Express Survey, 3 in 5 Americans would try a new brand or company for a better customer service experience. Furthermore, the survey also found that 7 in 10 Americans stated that they were willing to spend more with a company that they think provides exceptional customer service.
An Effective Job Description is Key for Hiring the Right Talent
To attract the right customer service talent for retail customer service jobs, it is essential to put the right information in your job descriptions. Take your time, think hard about what you want the candidate to bring to the retail customer service job, and accurately describe the duties and responsibilities involved. An effective retail customer service job description should be direct, appealing and accomplish the following:
- Identify the main purpose of the job.
- Describe in detail the responsibilities involved in the job.
- Summarize in the job description skills an ideal candidate would have for the retail customer service job, as well as other key traits a successful candidate would likely possess.
- Make sure your company culture and what makes your business unique is expressed clearly in the job description. Your company culture is a huge factor that draws customers to you, so anyone you hire should have the same values and personality as your company.
To help your company create a winning job description that attracts candidates that will contribute to your company’s success, here is a sample retail customer service job description:
Sample Retail Customer Service Associate Job Description
Retail Customer Service Associate Job Objective/General Purpose
Provide assistance to shoppers looking to purchase products in a retail store environment.
Job Duties for Retail Customer Service Associate
- Greeting customers and making them feel comfortable.
- Providing support by answering product-related questions from customers.
- Encourage shoppers to sign up for offerings such as memberships and warranties.
- Guide customers to appropriate sections of store to help them locate desired products.
- Suggest related products and upgrades to customers.
- Take payments from shoppers for purchases, and provide change and receipts.
- Thoroughly update records of customers in store database.
- Take care of any problems shoppers have in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Give attention to customers with damaged products, and find repair solutions for them.
- Neatly and efficiently package, bag and/or wrap customer purchases.
Skills and Qualifications Required for Retail Customer Service Associate
- High school diploma or equivalent education
- Basic math knowledge
- Effective communication skills
- Capable of developing extensive product knowledge
- Ability to persuade customers
- Familiarity with relevant computer programs
- Able to quickly adapt to company environment, along with their policies and procedures
- Previous customer service experience preferred
Click below for retail customer service job openings in:
Author: Jessica Cody
Jessica Cody, a native of Fairfield County, Connecticut, has a background in online marketing and public relations. Currently, she works at VHMNetwork LLC in the role of Marketing Analyst. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut, where she studied Journalism and Political Science. She is also an avid runner with a passion for the outdoors.